Monday, October 22, 2007

Online Learning Experience

I definitely learned different things when in the online environment. I miss the personal interactions and the dynamic of being in class; however, I actually prefer being in an online setting. It is also because I live so far from MSU. I enjoyed have the entire week to get the requirements completed. There were some lessons when I wanted to get everything done quickly, and this past lesson, I spread out over the two weeks. What I don't necessarily enjoy is responding to other students posts. There were those times when I wanted to complete all the rquirements and had to search for a post to respond to.

When I registered for the class, I didn't realize that it was a hybrid class. I was pleasantly surprised and was glad it was. I did feel that being in class was easier than the online classes. There are times when attending class you don't necessarily need to participate (although I think I do), but with an online class you can't hide. This type of environment may work well with students who aren't as active in the classroom. I would repeat this process. I'm currently registered for a class this semester that is totally online. That class, Education Law, requires a lot of interacting using blackboard. I still feel the online classes require more work, both the Ed Law class and this class. I still would choose to take it again, probably hybrid classes are the best of both worlds.

I thought I was somewhat technically proficient, but I soon found out that I am not. I still can't post my powerpoint slides, or attach word documents to this post. As a professor, perhaps you could run sessions for those of us who aren't as proficient in the use of technology. For example, we could meet during the scheduled class time with the material created (power point, videos, etc.) and you could show us quickly how to incorporate them into our blogs. The gap in skills between students may narrow a bit. I definitely feel that this was an interesting experience, but the online sessions were more demanding than the in person classes. But that could be that I'm better in person. Still I would register all over again if I had the opportunity.

1 comment:

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

Thanks for your comments...and the good suggestions!