Thursday, November 8, 2007

Better Late than Never - Curriclum Mapping

Curriculum mapping is an attempt to organize what is being taught throughout a child’s education. If curriculum mapping is used, some benefits would be consistency across grade levels and within school in a district. The quality of instruction may benefit as well as transitions from one grade to the next.

In my school district, to be honest, I don’t know if it uses curriculum mapping. I’m going to make a guess and say no. I have written curriculum for new courses and updated curriculum for an old course. There wasn’t a curriculum map given to me to follow. Based on experience, I created the curriculum for a particular course using the team of teachers that were assigned to develop the curriculum for that course.

In the reading, District 5 was committed to a three year time period to implement curriculum mapping. It sounded like there was a lot of planning, organizing and buy-in from teachers to implement this change in curriculum. It sounds like my current school district is similar to the way District 5 was before the demographic changes. We send almost 100 percent of our students to some type of post-secondary education (mainly college), a very small percentage of our students fail the state assessments; perhaps, because of these similarties we probably don’t use curriculum mapping. If our demographics change as they did in District 5, perhaps changes would need to be made.

I did find this interesting, “Teams of teachers were challenged to think through the mind of a child rather than with the child in mind.” By putting ourselves in the child’s shoes, perhaps our tool belt will build the next Taj Mahal.

1 comment:

lizette said...

If only everyone can try to see through the eyes of the child. So many times children are scarred because the teacher was horrific and got away with it. We can all remember the teachers that stand out in our minds in a positive and the negative also.
I think that with curriculum mapping it is hard to be able to see where you will be at by a certain time. For me, it is very difficult because I teach Special Education and I never know how early on in the journey their light bulbs go off.